Sunday, March 11, 2007

Hanging up the clothes

Last night we were hanging up some clothes that had just been washed. Conner came bouncing into the room (he can only bounce or run, no walking) and asked if he could help.

Now, let's acknowledge that hanging up clothes is not that fun. That's why it's called a chore. However, to Conner it was great because he got to help out his dad. He loves me, and because of that he was willing to do something that wasn't that fun to spend time with me.

It's time that we as a church hung up the clothes. If we truly LOVE our father in Heaven, it's time that we started working for him. It's time that we were sold out for the MISSION of Jesus. Jesus is not about "forgive me father, be my savior" and that's it. That's the beginning. If you are content just learning about Jesus, then it's time you got off your butt and hung up some clothes.

Loving Jesus is about being sold out for his mission, not for knowledge of him and not for the "feel good" we get from attending church on Sunday. It's about having the mind of Christ, which is the mind of a servant. We should walk into church and say "what can I do for you Jesus?" Not, what can the church do for me. Who cares if you don't like the sermon. Who cares if you don't like the music. It's not about you. It's about Jesus and we HAVE to start reaching people for him. It's God's will that every person in this world have a chance to hear about him. If we are not willing to take on that mission, he will find someone that will. If that happens, we will sit back and stagnate as a church until we die. I won't stand for that because Jesus has changed my life. If that's not worth telling others about then I don't know what is.

So, are you willing to hang up clothes? Are you willing to serve God through the church? Are you willing to do things you think aren't your thing? Like maybe teaching kids? God called me to that as a first step. I told him he was nuts. Look where I'm at today because I was willing to do something I didn't want to do.

If we are willing to do this, then we become a church more concerned with the people that need Jesus than what the church is doing for me. When we serve others, we become closer to Jesus than we can otherwise.

It's time we got after it.

No comments: